ESTD.: 2 February 1835 | TYPE: Government | AFFILIATION: who | RECOGNITION: mci
The Government General Hospital, one of the premier Institutions in the country was started on 16th November 1664 as a small Hospital to treat the sick soldiers of the East India Company. It was the untiring inspired efforts of Sir Edward Winter who was the agent of the company that materialised in the first British Hospital at Madras.
In its early days the Hospital was housed at the Fort St. George and in the next 25 years grew into a formal medical facility. Governor Sir. Elihy Yale was instrumental in the development of the Hospital and gave it a new premises with in the Fort in 1690.
The Hospital moved out of the Fort after the Anglo French War and it took 20 long years before it could settle in the present permanent place in 1772. By the year 1772 the Hospital was training Europeans, Eurasians and natives in allopathic methods of diagnosis and treatment and methods of preparing medicines. These trained personnel's were posted to various dispensaries in the district head quarters of the then Madras Presidency to assist the qualified doctors. By 1820 the institution had the recognition as the model hospital of the East India Company. So in 1827 Dr. D.Mortimar was appointed as the Superintendent of the Hospital.
A private medical hall run by Dr. Mortimar was regularised as a medical school and it was opened by Sir Fredrick Adams, the then Governor of Madras on 2nd February 1835. The Governor promulgated an order to make the school a state sponsored one and attached it to the General Hospital.
In 1842 the Hospital opened its doors to Indians. In the next two decades, the teaching staff had increased, the duration of the course extended and the curriculum was made comprehensive. Senior courses spanning 5 years was started and private people were also admitted for the first time in the institution. In the early part of 1850 the school council submitted proposals to the government to accord the status of a College. The Government granted this request and from 1st October 1850 it became Madras Medical College.
The first batch of students graduated in 1852 and were granted the Diploma of Graduate of the Madras
Medical College. In 1857, it gained affiliation to the University of Madras. After the affiliation in 1857 the College moved to be a center of excellence imparting training in all the specialities in the field of medicine and surgery and it is now one of the premier institutions in the country with under graduate, post graduate and super speciality courses.
The Courses offered by the Madras Medical College are affiliated from 1988 to the “The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University”
This College has nine affiliated institutions with hospitals, each one of them recognized for excellence in Health care services.
This College stands with pride for having produced Doyens in the field of Medicine and forget not that you have become a part of this great institution now
MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE
22nd August 1639 - Founding of Madras City
16th November 1664 - Govt. General Hospital was started by
Sir Edward Winter at the Fort St. George.
1772 - Govt. General Hospital moved to the present
Place. The Hospital started training personnel.
2nd February 1835 – Medical School has started and the General
Hospital was attached to it.
1st October 1850 – Medical School was named as Madras Medical
1857 – Affiliated to University of Madras
1875 - Mary Ann Dacomb Scharlieb was the first
women in the whole world to be admitted to
Medical College. Hence Madras Medical
College made a History.
She later started the Royal Victoria Hospital for
centre and Gosha women which is now named
Government Kasturba Gandhi Hospital,
Abala Das, Rose Govindarajulu and Gurdia Sing
1912 – Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddy was the first Indian
Women to get M.B.B.S from University of
Madras. She established to Cancer Institute of
1938 - Sir. Dr. A.L. Mudaliar – First Indian Principal
of Madras Medical College.
GOVERNMENT GENERAL HOSPITAL
Surat was where the English established a trading post in 1600 and the next British settlement was