College Details

About B.J. Medical College College

ESTD.: 1946 | TYPE: Government | AFFILIATION: who | RECOGNITION: mci

Ahmedabad Medical School was created in 1871 and it became affiliated with the Civil Hospital in the city of Ahmedabad. The School had humble beginnings, starting with 14 students who pursued hospital assistant training. In 1879, Sir Byramjee Jeejeebhoy donated Rs.20,000/- and the school was renamed after him as B. J. Medical School. The school grew and became affiliated with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay in 1917. By 1946, the school obtained affiliation with Bombay University and then achieved higher status for itself to become B.J. Medical College, providing diplomas for L.C.P.S.In 1951, The college was affiliated to Gujarat University for its undergraduate courses. The postgraduate courses were affiliated to the Gujarat University in 1956. The Gujarat University took over the school, which today flourishes with other allied medical and paramedical institutions, including:

  • M & J Institute of Ophthalmology
  • M. P. Shah Cancer Research Institute
  • TB Demonstration and Training Centre
  • Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre
  • U. N. Mehta Institute of Cardiology